Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Why Procrastination Isn't All That Bad

Let's talk about procrastinators. Because...Hello, I'm Susan, and I'm a procrastinator. I'm on schedule to write 2800 words by the end of today, and what am I doing? Housework. Magazine reading. Blog writing.

I've been procrastinating as early as second grade. I remember doing my piano homework (yes, there is such a thing) the 30 minutes I had between the end of school and the time I had to start walking to my piano teacher's house. I remember that rushed, panicked feeling. I still have it.

Does this make me want to change? Yes. Does this motivate me to change? Not so much. Why? I always do better rushed. I do. (But not in a speeding car sort of way. If I'm late, I'm late.) I remember pacing out a paper and turning it early--I got a B. Minus. For another paper, I waited until the night before to start the 15-pager--I got an A.

Did I learn my lesson? Yes. Being early doesn't pay better dividends.

No comments: