Sunday, August 20, 2006

Making Time for Reading

I believe that to be a writer, you have to keep being a reader. It's so easy to forget that part of the equation, especially as you grow older, have more responsibilities, and can no longer get by on four hours of sleep because you stayed up to read who the killer is/if the hero got with the heroine/etc.

Over the past two years, I've been fairly good at getting through two books a month (a far cry from my 400-page-book-a-day habit from fourth grade through twelfth grade). In order to keep the books straight in my head, I read one fiction and one nonfiction book at a time. Right now, I'm reading Confessions of Park Avenue Plastic Surgeon by Cap Lesesne, M.D., and The Killing Club by Marcie Walsh and Michael Malone.


Lesesne's book is pretty good. He's a little full of himself, but aren't plastic surgeons usually narcissistic? He spends a little too much time on himself, but the anecdotes are worth wading through the muckety mire.

The Killing Club is a very well-paced book with some really good word visuals. I have no idea who the killer is, but I have about five guesses. My only qualm? The writers need to take a class on comma usage. There are so many, I'm stumbling over them!

1 comment:

Tempest Knight said...

I admit that I can no longer read as much as I used to. I remember when I used to go to B. Dalton twice a week, and come out with at least 2 books. Now I'm lucky if I can get through a book in a week. If it's an ebook, then I can finish it quickly. Still I miss the old days when I could climb up to the roof and read. Getting old sucks!