Monday, August 14, 2006

Revisions & Contortionists

So I'm going a little nutty. My brain sort of resembles this amazing contortionist here. I have 4,500 words to get through and my brain is tied into knots, trying to figure out where to begin. See, I need to go back and add foreshadowing, new characters that need to get in there by the end of Act I, etc.

Maybe I should discuss acts and writing? Actually, I would like to recommend a book: Viki King's
How to Write a Movie in 21 Days. I don't want to write a movie (but if one came my way, I wouldn't say no!), but it's a terrific book for a novelist who is struggling with pacing.

Anyway, back to my brain twisting into a pretzel. Revising a book, at least for me, is like those proofs in back in geometry class. You look at the problem, see the answer, and write down the answer. However, this is a proof, which means you have to write down the 20 steps in between. Right now, I'm writing those steps, and I'm missing steps 9, 14 and 17. I don't know what those steps are, but I'll know them when I finally write them, rewrite them, and revise them.

No comments: