Thursday, April 26, 2007

Bonding over Blume

So I'm in Target looking for a particular book by Laurie Halse Anderson and I see a name that instantly sends electric currents of warm fuzzies straight to my stomach (the way a homemade batch of oatmeal raisin cookies does or a repeat of a Brenda-years 90210 does).

Judy Blume.

Judy Blume wasn't really my generation. I read her as a seven-year-old in the early eighties, and
Are You There God, It's Me Margaret had come out in 1970.

The topic of bras and periods were foreign to me until AYTGIMM. I was seven when I read it, for goodness sake! But I loved the book.

That's not to say there aren't other great Judy Blume titles. Today, the Target cashier saw I was buying
Just as Long as We're Together, and she gushed, "That was my favorite book as a kid." Seeing as how she was maybe 16, I guess she meant "elementary school kid." (When you're 30, you start to understand why the term "whippersnapper" is still be used by those with less-than-limber joints who were last called "kid" 50 years ago.)

But it was nice standing across from one another, a beloved book being scanned between us, and know that a whippersnapper 14 years younger than me has the same comfort-food reaction to Blume that I have.

No comments: