Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Five Randoms: The Too-Early-for-the-Rooster Edition


What's playing on my iTunes player as I start this: Say What You Want ... Texas

1) I became a writer because of days like today. The words were flying onto the page for a good three hours. I even hated stopping because I wanted to know what happened next (ALWAYS a good stopping point, by the way, since it makes you rush back to the story rather than letting it languish for a month or two in a dusty Desktop Folder). But it's 2:30 a.m. and my sanity is telling me to get reacquainted with my pillow.

2) I love mixing writing with other artistic pursuits.
For instance, I love drawing (read my bio on susancolebank.com to see why). When I'm trying to figure out a scene, I start drawing the scene, and the problem I'm having with gestures, background noise or blocking figures sorts itself out.


3) I reread my favorite bits in an old favorite of mine, Beverly Cleary's Fifteen.
All I've gotta say is Jane Purdy kissing Buzz, Stan stopping to throw a half-dollar into the river, and Stan Crandall's ID bracelet. SWOON!


4) Valentine's Day is coming up and I'm more excited to give my munchkin her first Valentine's Day present than receiving one from the hubby.
As usual, I'll be giving her a book, but it's a book about kittens. Who doesn't love kittens, right? Right?! (See image above to see my side. One day, a boy will get my munchkin romantic gifts. Mommies are the ones who give books, especially since I'm trying not to equate food with special occasions...if only the parents of all the obese Americans in the country had taken note many Valentine's Days ago.)


5) My Phoenix-based critique partners are at a writing conference in San Diego right now.
I miss them. Come home, guys, I miss the monkey on my back!

What's playing on my iTunes player as I end this: Lean on Me ... Bill Withers

No comments: