Thursday, November 16, 2006

Having Fun Revising Gil

I've been bad. I've been MIA from Bloggerland for a while. But I have a really good answer for that: I've been writing! I'm 10,000 words away from finishing my rewrite of the book I did before Black Tuesday, and I feel like I'm on Cloud Nine.

The rewrite, however, is not the end. There's still skimming and scanning to be done for inconsistencies, grammar mistakes, and spelling errors. I got the galleys for Black Tuesday a few weeks ago and was floored by the amount of spelling errors I saw (e.g., "what" instead of "white"). But I think it was the copy editor who screwed up. Yeah. Let's go with that. I'm perfect, after all. More android than human. :o)

Anyway, back to that manuscript. I'm loving my characters. I want to MEET these characters. They're fully fleshed-out in my head. Let's take Gil. First off, he looks like this guy pictured (yeah, he does have a striking resemblance to Julian McMahon. Weird, huh?). He's also anal about coasters, likes smoking a pack a day, and can come up with some really off-the-wall statistics when you're just trying to have a conversation with him. Gil's divorced, but he's bitterly divorced. In other words, he's a catch, but also a big ol' heap of trouble. (Did I mention his fourteen-year-old daughter?)

Don't worry, I'm not messing with him too much in these revisions. After all, he's pretty darn near perfect.

No comments: